Translate

Thursday, November 12

Will Lou Dobbs now run for office of U.S. President? Will we finally see the rise of a viable third party to challenge the GOP and Democrats?

Last night I was badly shaken by breaking news at RBO that Lou Dobbs had announced his resignation from CNN. I leaped to the conclusion that CNN, under pressure from immigration groups, Mexico's government and ours, had asked him to resign because of the controversy over his reports on illegal immigration.

But after reading the transcript of his announcement (see below), it looks to my eyes that Lou's preparing to throw his hat in the political ring. There were rumors in early 2008 that he was considering running for President but after a flurry of speculation in the press they fizzled.

Is it possible that the anonymous physical threats he received in recent months, which culminated on October 5 with a bullet fired at his house, decided his family that as long as his reporting was risking their lives, in for a penny, in for a pound?

I'd rather live with that hope for a few days than face what might be the truth: that Lou's resignation from CNN is simply the latest indication the United States is following in the footsteps of Canada, which designates any politically incorrect opinion as "hate speech." (For all their efforts during the past two years Canada's free speechers have not been able to overturn the infamous Section 13 law.)

Maybe Americans who're sick of being jerked around by the Democratic and Republican parties, and who agree with the political platform Lou outlined last night, will write Lou to encourage him to run for the White House as a new third party candidate and not settle for a congressional seat.

If there was ever a time the United States needed a powerful third party, this is it. For Tea Partiers who've been lulled into thinking the Republicans have turned over a new leaf, I'm going by the history. The GOP does essentially the same thing OPEC does every time Americans show they're serious about getting free of foreign oil: OPEC lowers the price of oil to the point where it doesn't pay to do oil exploration in the USA.

There is only one way to keep two powerful political machines honest, which is to wield the club of a powerful third party. But the only way such a party could get that powerful is to force the Republicans and Democrats to sit outside the White House for four years.

Here is the transcript of Lou's announcement. If he does enter politics, he couldn't have chosen a better time than Veteran's Day to signal his intention:
Transcript: Lou Dobbs says he's leaving CNN
November 11, 2009
(CNN) -- CNN's Lou Dobbs announced Wednesday night on his show that he is leaving the network. Here is a transcript of those remarks.

Dobbs: Tonight, I want to turn to a personal note if I may and address a matter that has raised some curiosity.

This will be my last broadcast here on CNN, where I have worked for most of the past 30 years and where I have many friends and colleagues whom I admire deeply and respect greatly.

I'm the last of the original anchors here on CNN, and I'm proud to have had the privilege of helping to build the world's first news network. I am grateful for the many opportunities that CNN has given me over these many years, I've tried to reciprocate with the full measure of my ability and my energy.

Over the past six months, it's become increasingly clear that strong winds of change have begun buffeting this country and affecting all of us. And some leaders in media, politics and business have been urging me to go beyond the role here at CNN and to engage in constructive problem-solving, as well as to contribute positively to a better understanding of the great issues of our day. And to continue to do so in the most honest and direct language possible.

I've talked extensively with Jonathan Klein; Jon's the president of CNN, and as a result of those talks, Jon and I have agreed to a release from my contract that will enable me to pursue new opportunities.

At this point, I'm considering a number of options and directions and I assure you I will let you know when I set my course.

I truly believe that the major issues of our time include the growth of our middle class, the creation of more jobs, health care, immigration policy, the environment, climate change, and our military involvement, of course, in Afghanistan and Iraq.

But each of those issues is in my opinion informed by our capacity to demonstrate strong resilience of our now weakened capitalist economy and demonstrate the political will to overcome the lack of true representation in Washington, D.C. I believe these to be profoundly critically important issues and I will continue to strive to deal honestly and straightforwardly with those issues in the future.

Unfortunately, these issues are now defined in the public arena by partisanship and ideology rather than by rigorous empirical thought and forthright analysis and discussion. I'll be working diligently to change that as best I can. And, as for the important work of restoring inspiration to our great free society and our market economy, I will strive as well to be a leader in that national conversation.

It's been my great honor to work with each and every person at this wonderful network. I will be eternally grateful to CNN, to Ted Turner, and to all of my colleagues and friends and, of course, to you at home. I thank you and may God bless you.

The news continues for the rest of this hour. I'll be back right after the break. [...]

No comments: